Wednesday, July 18, 2007

process

I've determined the text that will go on the banner, and decided the shape I want the banner to make (after photographing multiple variations of the banner). I've also put three coats of gesso on each canvas. Here's the process from here:
1. sand each canvas
2. project left canvas image, draw banner contour and demarcate shadow lines
3. photograph projection for later printing of reference for shadows
4. tape acetate sheets to canvas, trace banner contours with sharpie
5. roll up acetate sheets and put away for later cutting
6. draw/paint shadows (powdered charcoal and water)
7. project same banner image again, outline letters
8. draw/paint letters
9. repeat for right panel
10. cut acetate masks for both panels
11. spray mount acetate masks on canvas
12. snap radiating charcoal lines
13. apply powdered charcoal to ground
14. apply fixative (mix of vmp naptha and Soluvar)

4 comments:

judith said...

how will the text be divided, left and right?

Randy Twaddle said...

good question. the only text that will be on the right panel will be the last phrase, "...ever and forever."

judith said...

That's very surprising! It is hard to imagine the balancing act.

Randy Twaddle said...

Judith,
The right panel is going t be intentionally less "mediated" as I want it to be a space that references the future, possibilities, etc., and I want to tie that dialectically (not sure that's the right word) with the phrase, "ever and forever." I guess I want to provide some space (and implied "time") for that to occur. (though I firmly subscribe to the idea of eternity not being a duration of time in the future, but a name for what happens when one's able to completely be in the moment.) Thanks for writing to my xxxx.